Monday, January 16, 2012

Just got back from a run and a rather delightful yet chilly run.  It is funny.  When I'm out and actually doing "the deed" I'm nothing but positivity and rah rah I can do it. I suppose it is the fresh air and the time alone and quiet to clear my head without constant interruptions.  I planned my meals for most of the week and the lunch I was going to have when I got back home while I was on my run.

I'm not one to get "bored" of food, so when I find a meal I can fit into all of my requirements, I stick with it, especially if it tastes good.  I know that isn't a good thing to practice since your body does need a variety of nutrients and may get used to what you put into it if it is the same thing over and over.  Before I left, I had planned on another spinach and egg white omelet.  Had that yesterday, tasted good, easy to make, fail safe.  Instead I was able to think about what was in the house and planned lunch around that.  Ended up having a leftover chicken almondine breast on a bed of spinach, flax seed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar on it.  Delicious!


I found the Chicken Almondine recipe in a new cook book I got after the holidays.  "The Best of Clean Eating".  I really like some of the recipes in it.  They mostly use ingredients I already had around the house and are really simple to make....and are common sense.  When you think about it, most recipe books are "clean" since they mostly require fresh ingredients.  I do recommend this book to anyone who is thinking about eating a little bit healthier.

Here's the chicken recipe for anyone interested:

1/4c slivered unsalted almonds, toasted, divided (I didn't bother toasting, next time I'll give it a try)
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
1/4 tbsp Spanish paprika
Sea salt and Pepper to taste
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1lb total) pounded to 1/2 inch thickness (which I didn't do)
Olive oil cooking spray
1 lb fresh green beans
Zest of 1 lemon (about 2 to 3 tsp)
Juice of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tbsp)

Grind half of the almonds to a powder.  In medium bowl, combine grounded almonds, flour and paprika. Season with salt and pepper.  Dredge chicken breast in almond-flour mixture and set aside.

Set large non-stick or cast-iron skillet over high heat for one minute.  Mist with cooking spray and heat for one minute more.  Reduce heat to medium-high and saute chicken for three minutes per side or until golden brown with no pink remaining.  Remove from heat.

Bring a medium pot of water to boil. Add beans and blanch for one minute.  Remove beans from water.  In large bowl toss beans with lemon zest and juice, season with salt and pepper.

To serve, sprinkle with remaining eight-cup of almonds over top of chicken, dividing evenly.  Serve each chicken breast with 3/4c of green beans.

Calories 220
Total Fat 6g
Sat Fat 0.75g
Carbs 12g
Fiber 5g
Sugars 2g
Protein 30g
Sodium 111mg
Cholesterol 66mg

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea for the crisp of "breaded" chicken. Tastier too I'll bet.