Friday, January 27, 2012

The 20% Day

I am learning a lot from Trina and Fit4Females Stroller Boot Camp.  The one nutrition seminar I was able to attend that Trina held she spoke about the 80/20 rule.  As long as you are good and stick with your proper eating habits 80% of the time, the other 20% of the time you aren't going to be such a saint and potentially still have weight loss results.  Today was that "other" 20% day.  Even then, my day was fantastic...up until after dinner and temptation was placed in front of me.

I had my usual breakfast of cereal and banana.  I can't help it.  I know it isn't the "cleanest" food, but I loves me my cereal.  I drive Brad nuts.  At any given time I will have 5 or more open boxes of cereal.  I like to rotate through them.  None of them are the sugary crap either.  I love a good Raisin Bran or Life or any variety of Cheerios or Shreddies.  MMmmmmm....Shreddies.  When I was pregnant with James and had the wicked bad  morning/noon/night sickness all I could keep down was Shreddies.  Unfortunately I no longer purchase Shreddies.  You just can't have a bowl of them without 2 inches of brown sugar coating the top.  Great.  Now I want Shreddies.  Since I've been learning a little more about nutrition I'm trying to get at least three food groups into each meal.  So I usually try to have a glass of milk and either a banana or blueberries in with my cereal.

Lunch today was Cream of Mushroom soup, 7 soda crackers and milk.  Dinner was chicken almondine and blanched green beans with lemon juice.

Then we went to my Mom and Dad's house.  I knew going in I had 4 points left in my day.  Good for me since it is Friday night tradition stemming back from when we used to visit my Grandmother on Friday nights that we have a "Friday Night Goodie".  Today's was doughnuts from Tim Horton's.  I really do not like doughnuts.  Knowing this, can someone please explain to me why the fuck did I have 3?  Yes.  Three.  Okay, okay, let me explain.  It really was like a strategic move in chess.  The first one I had I chose carefully and with much consideration.  I had 4 points.  I knew I still had earned exercise points to use and all of my 49 weekly "woo-hoo" points.  My selection was an old fashion chocolate dip.  Tasty and complimented my vanilla spiked black coffee.  James' selection was a filled sprinkle doughnut.  He ate about 2/3's of it and discovered, much to his dismay, it was filled with Strawberry Jam.  Before I knew it and without any rational thinking at all, it was in my mouth.  I am usually pretty good at not finishing food that James hasn't finished.  I don't like other people's spit...even if they are from my own gene pool.  From that point on it was like a wild beast took over my body and was playing mind control games in my head.  I then ate another doughnut that I picked out all on my own (a double chocolate old fashion) and scoffed that down.  Hey, I still had that coffee left.  I accidently asked for a large, forgetting Tim's changed their cup sizes and ended up with the old extra large cup. James' next selection was a Boston Cream, fortunately he ate the whole thing...but then the little bugger also took a plain chocolate dip...and it sat on his plate for a good 30 minutes.  So of course, after I changed Piper's bum, down on the floor, sitting next to that remaining 1/2 of the doughnut, again that wild beast took over and forced that damn thing down my throat. It wasn't me officer!  Honest!!!  It just jumped into my mouth.  I was holding it for someone else.  It isn't mine!

On the ride home I had time to ponder my actions and try and figure out where my head goes in these situations.  Brad and I had a discussion the previous night about drinking and alcoholics.  I forget how the conversation came up but he believes anyone who binge drinks is an alcoholic.  I know when I drink, I only do so to get drunk, which, now that I have kids, let me tell you, really isn't often.  At all...and remembering some of my hangovers, that isn't such a bad thing.  Relating that to food, I do the same thing.  If I'm going to be bad, I do it to be really bad.  If I go over my points or have a bad day food wise, I then will eat anything and everything that I shouldn't that I can find.  A perfect example of this was what I did at Christmas.  I ate all kinds of baked goods, cookies, chocolates, cakes, breads, candy and chips.  Anything I could find.  To the point I gained 7 pounds in a short 2-3 weeks.  I felt like a convict that had been in lock up for 25 years without knowing the pleasure of sex for that long....I needed it and as much of it as I could get because I didn't know when my next meal would be.  I binged on food like there was no tomorrow.  Which is what happened to me tonight with the doughnuts.  I binged.

Great.  I know this about myself now.  So now what?  First step?  Admit to it and take ownership of my mistake.  I was going to pretend this didn't happen.  I was not going to share this shame with you.  I wasn't even going to journal this horrible sin.  But I did, I am.  I want to be completely honest with you and in doing so...with myself.  "Hi, my name is Kim and I am a binge eater".

Here's the ugly, ugly truth.




PointsPlus™ Tracker entries

Friday, January 27, 2012
Morning
Life Cereal - Quick-added food
3
1  large banana(s)
0
2  cup(s) black coffee
0
Subtotal 3
Midday
1  cup(s) canned cream of mushroom soup, made with whole milk
6
1  serving(s) 7 Saltines Salted
2
1  oz Cheddar or colby cheese
3
8  medium uncooked baby carrots
0
1  cup(s) low-fat milk
3
Source Yogurt - Quick-added food
1
Subtotal 15
Evening
1  cup(s) cooked green beans
0
1  Chicken Almondine
8
Subtotal 8
Anytime
1/3 doughnut(s) Filled Donuts - Filled Donuts Strawberry (filled donut)
2
1/2 doughnut(s) Cake Donuts - Cake Donuts Chocolate Glazed (cake donut)
3
2  doughnut(s) Cake Donuts - Cake Donuts Old Fashion Plain (cake donut)
15
Subtotal 20
Food PointsPlus values total used 46
Food PointsPlus values remaining 0
Exercise
No entries for exercise.
Activity PointsPlus values earned 0
Check off these important items daily:
Liquids
      
Milk & Milk Products
   
Fruit & Vegetables
     
Multivitamin/Mineral
 
Healthy Oil
  

No comments: