Thursday, March 12, 2009

Week 3 - Why Can't I be addicted to Heroin?

Okay, maybe not to that extreme. Maybe I should take up another vice like smoking or alcohol. Not that I am saying other kinds of addictions are any easier for those that have them...just that it is easier to avoid say crack as opposed to a Snickers bar or a plate of french fries or even just too much of a healthy food.

Think about it. A person can "live" without a cigarette. Sure, it may be hard at first. The shakes, the craving. The need to fill the hole that smoking has left in their lives with something else. Drinking or partying hard, go into rehab. These are understood addictions. Again, a person can live without alcohol or smoking weed daily. There is no "cold turkey" for food. Food is everywhere. Go take a walk down a city street. Fast food and resturant chains everywhere. Convience stores with their candy bars on display at the cash. If you're even the least bit hungry, grab a chocolate bar to fill the void until you can get to McDonald's. Yes, you can make healthier choices at these places. Wendy's is my favourite. They will allow you to substitute fries for chili or a side salad. Been to McDonald's and tried that? I have. I asked to substitute my fries with a side salad with my 4 McNuggets. Sorry, we can't do that. Um...why? The reason they gave? This combo doesn't come with a salad, you'll have to order something from the lifestyle's menu for salad, or buy a salad separetely and throw away your fries. WHAT? I don't want a grill McChicken mcfucking sandwich. I WANT McfuckingNuggests. I have points for McNuggets. I don't want mcfries. I want mcsalad. You can go mcfuck your mcself. Come on McDonald's get with it. Allow substitutions to your menu. It is interesting in this day in age they haven't jumped on that band wagon yet. Um...of course I'm the same person who would go to Taco Bell, order a combo #6, with a Mexican pizza and a diet Pepsi....they cancel each other out donchaknow? Nah, but seriously, I can't stand regular pop. Much too syrupy.

So being that food is everywhere and a person can't survive without it and temptation is everywhere. Is this a loosing battle? I'm not a saint. There are times when all I want is a nice biggie sized serving of McDonald's fries with extra salt complete with a salt/ketchup paste. The mouth starts watering, your stomach protests in hunger. What do you do? Honestly, is an apple or some celery going to make that craving go away. Yeah, I can have instead a small fries but when you are there in the moment at that counter or drive thru, you're thinking small, but out of your mouth pops "yes, I'll have the big bucket o'fries please". Happily munching on them until you eat the last one and THAT'S when remorse and guilt kick in. There is no escaping food. Ever. Thank god for this crappy weather actually. Trapped inside has kept me safely away from lunch with Mom and that moment of "forgetfulness" where instead of salad, yes, french fries and a funnell cake DOES sound delighful. Thank you.

I'm on day three of 10 Minute Personal Trainer today. About that. What a crock. You're 10 minutes suddenly becomes 1/2 an hour. To achieve the results on the info-mercial, they suggest "stacking" your workouts. Which means, rather than just the one 10 minute session, they suggest doing two other ten minute sessions that day too. Sure, you can break them up during the day, but honestly, who is going to do that? Plus, I don't know if the moves are more diffult and I'm just not doing them right but I don't feel I'm getting as good of a workout as I was with my 30 day Shred dvd. I don't want to kill Tony Horton as much as I wish pain and suffering on Jillian Michaels. 10PT is lower impact and not as fast paced. We'll give it the month though and see how it goes. We'll sneak in Jillian where I can...of course I'll regret it when my knee feels like it is on fire and I'm limping around the house after.

Breakfast
1c Multigrain Cheerios
Source Yogurt
Black Coffee

Lunch
Medium potato nuke to perfection
FF sour cream
1/2oz Lite Marble Cheese
Salsa
Dill Pickle

Dinner
Stuffed Chicken Breast
Peas
Rice

No comments: