Thursday, March 12, 2009

Week 7 - Best Laid Plans

Note to self. When planning your day and your meal for dinner it is exteremly important to make sure you have what you've planned for in your house.

AUGH! The number one problem I have that causes me to go all off of plan and points is having no food in the house. I planned on bonless skinless chicken breast for dinner last night before going off to aerobics. Go to make dinner and the chicken was gone. Grrr....so a moment of panic where I realize we really don't keep much in the house. I ended up improvising. I had a Lean Cuisine Grilled Panini sandwich for 6 points and some Romain Lettuce with some salad dressing (this is what passes for a salad in my house).I guess the problem is, I really don't know how to grocery shop. Food seemed to last longer at my parents' house. Not in that they didn't eat as much, but in that it didn't go bad as quickly. I've all but given up on buying fresh vegetables. We buy them with every intention of using them, but they go bad before I can figure out what do to with them. I never know what meat to buy and keep in the freezer. I do look through my cook books all the time (guilty secret, I love reading cook books but hate cooking) find something I intend on cooking but never buy the ingredients...or if I do buy the ingredients, I can't remember what they were for. I'm horribly disorganized when it comes to my kitchen. I think it stems from my Mom. While she hasn't a horrible cook, her meals were rather plans with the same basic ten meals. Spaghetti and meat balls, pork chops with some form of interchangable frozen vegetable and potato, chili, stew, chicken legs broiled with bbq sauce, chicken breast (with skin and bone) form of interchangable frozen vegetable and potato, goulash, grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup, hamburgers and hotdogs. Never rice. Never anything but a Ragu spaghetti sauce. OH! How can I forget, Sunday dinners are roast beef. Hmmm....maybe this is why I HATE Ragu sauce and roast beef. One can only eat it so many times in one's life.This is why I'm trying to expand my horizans. I've branched out. I've tried all kinds of foods I'd never even heard of when I was living at home. The me of 5 years ago would never have tried sushi, but I did and I love it (and low in points!). I've tried Indian food (did you know goat was edible?) I LOVE anything Mexican. I hadn't even heard of Taco Bell (not that that passes for Mexican) before I met Brad and with it, he helped me gain 50 pounds the first time around! I'm still trying to figure out what exactly couscous is, but I eat it. Makes life easier yet more difficult all at the same time. Odd.Today will be challenging. Still have the same dinner dilema. Maybe Healthy Bake Captain Highliner and potatoes and peas (gotta have some vegetables.) AH! James is blowing raspberries up in his crib, I guess that means he's awake. Here's another thing I love about Motherhood, baby farts through the monitor are about the cutest thing I've ever heard. Again, is that odd?

No comments: