Thursday, March 12, 2009

Week 6 - Trailing Behind the Wagon

Glad that weekend is over and done with. PHEW. I think I got out of it alive. This bloatedness will go away once I down about two litres of water. No easy feat but do-able. I found some Crystal Lite downstairs in the panty yesterday when I was figuring out what to make for dinner.

Which leads me into today's rant. "Health Check" symbols and food. The other day I was wandering around Shopper's Drugmart waiting for my prescription to be filled. While waiting at the cash I noticed a box of Craisin 100 Calorie snacks. It had the "Health Check" symbol on the front. I know Cranberries are good for you and beneficial to a healthy lifestyle so I thought I'd give them a go...not thinking anything of it as I threw them on the counter.At home I then decide to check out the package a little bit better. At the grocery store I am very aware of the nutitional content of foods. That's how you figure out the point value for Weight Watchers. I always check the serving size, calories, fat content and fiber. The Craisins are in 100 calories snack packs...and that is about all they have going for them. The box indicates they are a source of fiber...only 7% of your daily intake. No vitamins at all. 23g of Carbs. Basically no point in eating this snack at all. MAYBE if you're creative and throw it into your morning cereal for some added "oomph". The snack packs of 100 calorie Doritos even have some calcium and iron in them. Plus I've learned not to buy certain cereals. I LOVE cereal. I sometimes have a bowl for a snack. Most cereals are only 2 points as long as you stick the the serving size. I absolutely love Frosted Mini Wheats. But I tend to dump the box in my bowl and not count out the 25 that is a serving size. Sometimes I'd buy a more exciting cereal as my "weekend" cereal. Don't think I can do that anymore. That 3/4c of Golden Grahams suddenly is actually 2c and I still only count it as a 3 pointer. Serving size...all about serving size and only cheating yourself.Moral of this story? Stick with the "natural" snack foods. Raw vegetables and fruit. Yogurt. I am learning that food is to help substain a body. If there is no point in eating it...why bother?Today I'm getting back on track. The menu is all planned out. Once James wakes up we're going for a walk. It looks like a beautiful day and I want out of this house before the rain starts again tomorrow. So walk and TMT is in store for today. Need to make up ground. Due to the holiday yesterday there wasn't an aerobics class.

Breakfast
1c Multigrain Cheerios
Yogurt
Black Coffee

Snack
Craisins

Lunch
2 Slices Whole Wheat Bread
1/4c Tuna & Lite Mayo
10 Baby Carrots
Calorie Wise Poppy Seed Dressing

Snack
Apple & Cinnomon Sugar

Dinner
5 Cabbage Rolls
1c 1% Milk

No comments: